- While waiting and stuck in the Bullseye Lodge line, “Hey ‘Crew 52’, can you get us free Doritos?”
- “Don’t trust someone who wears sunglasses indoors.” “Sunglasses are the best for people watching,” says fellow Zone 8A volunteer.
- Those who are really paying attention to Crew 52 uniform. “Where can we buy Bold North mittens?” “The color matches your skin.” “I like your hat!” “So, do you really get to keep it all?”
- “We were here last night. We live on 12th and LaSelle. We had to come back cause we didn’t see it all,” a couple shared.
- “Where are the restrooms?” Having to answer with the closest porta potty location.
- Waiting 30 minutes for the Kitten Bowl, “Can I get a beer while in line?”
Interview Day. Inside Volunteer Headquarters, I was greeted by happier than normal, brighter than usual smiles. I sat across a blonde lady who asked questions about what I enjoyed in Minnesota to times I provided hospitality. She said none of us hopeful volunteers would be inside the stadium on game day. I didn’t know Volunteer Headquarters would become an important place.
Orientation. A flock of purple and gold inside the Xcel Energy Center. My demographics fell within the youngest age group of volunteers. First time seeing Chad Greenway in person. The fashion show of our provided uniform was a sweet surprise. Counterterrorism, human trafficking and homelessness training to come? This was getting real.
Role Specific Training. Tailgates up early morning downtown on the day of Vikings’ soon “Minnesota Miracle” win against the Saints. Informed of possible duties. Picked up our uniform box sized best to carry inside a large Ikea shopping bag. Light flurries.
Super Bowl Live. A free 10-day festival filled with pre-Super Bowl fun. I was pumped to the point where I made a public video announcement to Facebook friends to invite and encourage them to come. What cold? What crowd? Layer up and enjoy! The most time I’ve spent with memories made along Nicollet Mall.
I was in my mother’s womb the first and last time the Super Bowl was held in Minnesota. I had to actively be a part of it this time around. A historical, once in a lifetime, moment. I initially wanted to be a Halftime Field Team Member. Crew 52 was a special way to represent Minnesota. There’s a warm, missing everything that happened, glow inside.
P.S. I’m glad Minnesota showed itself off on Super Bowl Sunday with the negative wind chills. Gotta be bold to endure the Bold North!